Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Feynman and flower...


"An artist can see and love in a much better way that he explores more beauty in objects than others..." I agree... but i ask you a simple question who is an artist.... A painter???..
A musician?? .... no.... definitely not... but most of the common people think that an artist means someone who paints, sings... etc.. and as a general trend those who go beyond scientific explorations become hard hearted...
here i present you some words of Richard Feynman about the aesthetic sense of a scientist and beauty of scientific explorations.

"I have a friend who's an artist and he's sometimes taken a view which I don't agree with very well. He'll hold up a flower and say, "Look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree, I think. And he says- "you see, I as an artist can see how beautiful this is, but you as a scientist, oh, take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing." And I think that he's kind of nutty. First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other people and to me, too, I believe, although I might not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is; but I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. At the same time I see much more abbut the flower than he sees. I can imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside which also have a beauty. I mean it's not just beauty at this dimension of one centimeter, there is also beauty at a smaller dimension, the inner structure. Also t.he processes, the fact that the colors in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it is interesting-it means that insects can see the color. It adds a question: Does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which shows that a science knowledge only adds to the excitement and mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds; I don't understand how it subtracts."

1 comment:

Gopan said...

informative...good post